THE 2022 VIRGINIA SCREENWRITING COMPETITION WILL OPEN ON APRIL 1, 2022. THE DEADLINE IS JUNE 1, 2022.
HOW TO APPLY
To submit a screenplay into the competition:
- Email a PDF of the script to email@example.com, following ALL listed HERE. Please have the title of the screenplay in the file name.
- Fill out the accompanying online application here.
If both steps are not accurately completed, we will not email reminders about missing information, and your screenplay will not be eligible. Please accurately complete both steps prior to the deadline to make sure your screenplay is considered.
Submissions will be accepted from April 1 — June 1, 2022. All submissions must be e-mailed by June 1 at the end of the day – 11:59 PM. No extensions will be granted for any reason. Winners will be announced at the Virginia Film Festival in October, 2022.
Please be sure to read ALL the rules on the website and apply them to your script. If your script does not adhere to the guidelines and rules of the competition, it will not be considered eligible and will not be reviewed.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE TO SUBMIT?
- Applicants must be legal residents of the state, have a valid Virginia address and must have lived in the state for at least six months during the past year. Exceptions are those who are legal residents but who are required by their work to reside overseas (such as members of the military) or students attending Virginia schools.
- No applicant may have earned money in excess of $5,000 as the writer of either a theatrical film or television program or as a result of the sale of (or the sale of an option to) any original story, treatment or teleplay.
- Scripts may be co-authored, if each author is a Virginia resident. One author must be selected as the primary applicant, who will be the one that receives mailings and other information about the competition.