The National Socio-Environmental Synthesis Center (SESYNC) at the University of Maryland is pleased to announce that we are hiring a full-time term position for a Scientific Multimedia Faculty Assistant. SESYNC is producing a series of informational and training videos on socio-environmental synthesis, with the goal of generating materials that provide 1) an entry point, 2) examples, and 3) training/instruction to answer the questions ‘what is socio-environmental synthesis?’ and ‘how do you do socio-environmental synthesis? The videos will be featured on an intuitively organized multimedia website geared toward helping users find and utilize resources of interest to them.
We are therefore seeking a scientific multimedia faculty assistant who can provide technical support and research on the most appropriate and efficient ways to manage the content, presentation and promotion of these materials and the related website. Primary responsibilities will include editing and combining video content for synthesis videos based on guidance from SESYNC leadership. The incumbent will also research the current state of socio-environmental synthesis work; collaborate with SESYNC researchers and with a video production company to determine effective educational and communication strategies for video design and structure; develop a plan for web presentation; generate multimedia content (including video, audio and graphics); and, if necessary, manage a contractor relationship with a web developer.
Qualifications are listed below, and full details of the job description can be found on the SESYNC website: http://www.sesync.org/careers/scientific-multimedia-faculty-assistant. Applications must be submitted through the web portal on this site. For best consideration, submit a full application by January 13, 2017. Please contact Dr. Kristal Jones (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions.
- Bachelor’s degree in science, journalism, or communications and two years’ professional experience
- Experience using audio/video editing software (e.g., Final Cut Pro) to produce high quality film segments that include audio, visual and graphic content
- Experience with and knowledge of best practices in web content design and management (e.g., WordPress or Drupal) and YouTube content management
- Demonstrated knowledge of current scientific issues related to socio-environmental systems
- Excellent written and interpersonal communications abilities
- Master’s degree in science, journalism, or communications
- Proven ability to research and develop educational, training, or communications materials for academic, scientific, or non-profit organizations
- Knowledge of and experience with graphic design principles and software (e.g., Adobe Creative Suite)
- Experience with developing or contributing to communications plans for web-based content
- Project management experience, especially managing external contractors