CALLING ALL SCREENWRITERS, CALLING ALL SCREENWRITERS!
Have you been sitting around bored in your house, ready to show off your amazing writing skills with the burning passion of one thousand suns!? Do you have an old script you have been hanging on to, waiting for the right time? Why don’t you pick up that old script that has eluded you or even start the process of writing a new one? Just don’t miss your chance to get that script read and possibly win a cash prize! If this opportunity sounds too good to pass up, then enter it in the 2023 Hampton Roads Virginia Production Alliance Screenwriting Competition. Aside from competing for a cash prize, ten lucky finalists will have the opportunity to sit in on a live table read of their script by experienced Hampton Roads actors. From those finalists, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place cash prizes will be awarded. Keep reading to learn more!
Script and writer requirements:
● Submit your best work, up to 20 pages. Please do not exceed this limit for scripts.
● All script genres are accepted except for ones containing sexually explicit/offensive words and actions and anything that could be considered “hate speech.” The contest finalists will have the opportunity to have a live table read of their script by actors and an audience. Therefore, not adhering to the above-mentioned restrictions will disqualify your script.
● Non-winning scripts previously submitted to other screenwriting contests are welcome.
● Scripts that are currently entered in a film festival are prohibited.
● Scripts with multiple documented writers can compete in the contest.
● Writers must be current residents of Virginia; this includes students currently enrolled in a VA college.
● Only one script submission per writer/writing team.
● All entries are final upon submission. No substitutions/page corrections will be allowed.
● All scripts must be typed in US standard motion picture format with a font size no smaller
than size 12.
● All scripts must be submitted as PDF files attached to your submission email. The writer’s
personal information should not be listed on the script to avoid any pre-bias.
● Title pages are required on all scripts.
SUBMISSION PROCESS / DEADLINES
To submit your original script, you must:
● Submit your email to email@example.com with your and any co-writer’s
information in the body of the email: Legal name, pen name (if different), contact info
(phone/email). Also include the name of your screenplay, genre, number of pages (not
including title page) and a summary of the script (including character count)
● Please indicate if this script has been entered in any previous screenwriting competitions and
please list which ones.
● Include your script as an attachment to this email, making sure it is a PDF file with font no
smaller than font size 12 and a title page without your name(s) on it.
● Script submission begins now and ends February 28th, 2023 at 11:59 pm.
● All submissions are final. There will be no editing or corrections allowed.
● Judging of the screenplays will be done by locally connected industry professionals.
● Judges’ decisions on the ten finalists will be made, and emails will be sent out to ALL contestants informing them of their pending status.
● The top 10 finalists will be able to attend/participate in a table reading of their scripts.
Experienced local actors will be provided, but screenwriters are welcome to substitute their own with advanced notice to the VPA.
● The three winners of the competition will be announced at a later date on the social media
outlets of the Hampton Roads Virginia Production Alliance.
● 3rd prize winner receives $150.00
● 2nd prize winner receives $250.00
● 1st prize winner receives $400.00
● There is no fee to enter.
● Any further questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Hampton Roads VPA thanks you for participating and supporting the Virginia Production Alliance. The harder we work together to promote the talent and film of Virginia, the more the nation’s film industry will take notice.
VPA Disclaimer: The VPA will not share your personal information, contact info, or screenplay with outside 3rd parties. The ten finalists will have their scripts read aloud unless opted out by the writer before the event. Your name will be posted on the HR
VPA webpage/Facebook page after its announcement. Your email addresses will be kept by the VPA for use of notification of upcoming events and membership opportunities.