2020 VPA SCREENWRITING CONTEST
CALLING ALL SCREENWRITERS, CALLING ALL SCREENWRITERS!
Have you been sitting around bored in your house feeling like your creative juices are starting to fade because of this pandemic? Do you have an old script you have been hanging on to waiting for the right time? Why don’t you pick up that old script that has eluded you or even start the process of writing a new one? Just don’t miss your chance to get that script read and possibly win a cash prize! If this opportunity sounds too good to pass up, then enter it in the 2020 Hampton Roads Virginia Production Alliance Screenwriting Competition. Aside from competing for a cash prize, 5 lucky finalists will have the opportunity to sit in on a live table read of their script by experienced Hampton Roads actors. From those finalists, 1st ,2nd and 3rd place cash prizes will be awarded. Keep reading to learn more!
Script and writer requirements:
- Submit the best 15 consecutive pages of your script. Please do not exceed this limit.
- All script genres are accepted except for ones containing sexually explicit/offensive words and actions and anything that could be considered “hate speech”.The contest finalist will have the opportunity to have a live table read of their script by actors and an audience. Therefore, not adhering to the above-mentioned restrictions will disqualify your script.
- Non-winning scripts, previously submitted to other screenwriting contests are welcome.
- Scripts that are currently entered in a film festival are prohibited.
- Scripts with multiple documented writers can compete in the contest.
- Writers must be current residents of Virginia, this includes students currently enrolled in a VA college.
- Only one script submission per writer/writing team.
- All entries are final upon submission. No substitutions/page corrections will be allowed.
- All scripts must be typed in US standard motion picture format with a font size no smaller than size 12.
- All scripts must be submitted as PDF files attached to your submission email. The writer’s personal information should not be listed on the script to avoid any pre-bias.
- Title pages are required on all scripts.
SUBMISSION PROCESS / DEADLINES
To submit your original script, you must:
- Submit your email to firstname.lastname@example.org your and any co-writer’s information in the body of the email : Legal name, pen name (if different), contact info (phone/email). Also include the name of your screenplay, genre, number of pages (not including title page) and a summary of the script (including character count)
- Please indicate if this script has been entered in any previous screenwriting competitions and please list which ones.
- Include your script as an attachment to this email, making sure it is a PDF file with font no smaller than font size 12 and a title page without your name(s) on it.
- Script submission begins nowand endsJ une 30, 2020 at 11:59 pm.
- All submissions are final. There will be no editing or corrections allowed.
- Judging of the screenplays will be done by locally connected industry professionals.
- Judges decisions on the 5 finalists will be made and emails will be sent out to ALL contestants informing them of their pending status.
- The top 5 finalists will be able to attend/participate in a table reading of their scripts. Experienced local actors will be provided but screenwriters are welcome to substitute their own with advanced notice to the VPA.
- The 3 winners of the competition will be announced at the Proteus Film Festival and on the social media outlets of the Hampton Roads Virginia Production Alliance.
- 3rd prize winner receives $100.00
- 2nd prize winner receives $200.00
- 1st prize winner receives $300.00
- There is no fee to enter.
- Any further questions, please contact us at email@example.com
The Hampton Roads VPA thanks you for participating and supporting the Virginia Production Alliance. The harder we work together to promote the talent and film of Virginia the more the nation’s film industry will take notice.