Kayla B. Productions is casting for an upcoming short film.
Title: Like Moonlight On Water
Location: Roanoke, Va
Genre: Drama, Family Film
Roles are Paid (discussed individually)
IMDB Credit: Yes, Non-Union
Dates: Tentative; subject to change
Logline: When hopeful dancer, Layla, loses her hearing to Meniere’s Disease, she remains determined to pursue her passions as a deaf dancer despite deterring voices around her.
Synopsis: After falling in love with dance from an early age, young Layla decides to pursue a career as a professional ballerina. However, when she loses her hearing to Meniere’s disease, her goals become fleeting. Despite those around her suggesting other career paths and telling her her dreams are impossible, Layla remains steadfast as she discovers new strength from within to pursue her dreams.
To Audition please provide your age and contact information along with:
Your Reel (if you have one)
Your audition Video.
Important note: If you are auditioning for Layla, please send the elements above along with a video of your ballet/dance skills.
The script sides for your video audition can be found: https://www.kaylabproductions.com/audition-sides
*Please send your completed audition and the materials listed above to: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Layla: A deaf 18-year-old determined to pursue her goals as a professional ballerina.
(Seeking deaf actress 18 years old or actress who can play between the ages of 18-23)(Requirements: Must be Deaf / Hard-of-Hearing, Fluent in ASL) Ballet and dance experience is a plus but not a requirement.
2. Madame Marie/ Monsieur Marice (Can be played by a man or woman): Age 40s-60s. Layla’s ballet instructor and Mentor. (ASL fluency is not required for the Marie/Marice character)
3. Steven: Age 29-40. Layla’s Audiologist. (Requirements: Fluent in ASL)
4. Interpreter: Any Age, Male or Female. Layla’s Interpreter at school. (Requirements: Fluent in ASL)
5. Donna: Age 29-35. Mother of Tula. (Requirements: Fluent in ASL)
6. Tula: Age 5-6, A deaf little girl who looks up to Layla as a deaf dancer and is very similar to Layla at a young age. (Requirements: Deaf / Hard-of-Hearing. Knows or is learning to communicate with ASL. As I understand not all children, though deaf, are fully fluent in ASL just yet.)
7. Six-Year-old Layla: Age 5-6. A little girl to play the younger version of Layla before her hearing loss.
-Meals are provided on set.
This film seeks to create opportunities for actors and creatives in the deaf and hard-of-hearing community as well as preserve American Sign Language within mainstream media; As the majority of the film is communicated in sign language.
*Cast and crew will follow covid-Saftey protocols by monitoring symptoms, providing masks to all who want them, providing gloves for meal servicing/ utilizing individual meals, and keeping antibacterial wipes and hand sanitizer on set