Lead & Assistant Teaching Artists: Summer 2024
Website: Careers — Light House Studio
About Light House Studio
Light House Studio equips young people with the skills and confidence to tell their stories and build community through collaborative filmmaking. We seek to foster a community where Charlottesville’s young people flourish as students, storytellers, and citizens.
Light House Studio is looking for experienced filmmakers to lead and assist in mentoring workshops for students ranging from 8-21 years old. Lead Teaching Artists manage and lead filmmaking workshops. Assistant Teaching Artists work closely with the Lead Teaching Artist to facilitate filmmaking lessons and exercises. Workshops usually run Monday to Friday, 8:30 – 3:30pm, except for a few evening workshops. Teaching Artists will be in charge of overseeing a small group of students in the storytelling, production, and post-production process. Emphasis is placed on encouraging collective decision-making among students and ensuring students rotate roles throughout production. Teaching Artists are college students, recent graduates, or professionals with a passion for storytelling and an interest in sharing film knowledge with the next generation of filmmakers.
• Professional experience in video/film production including specialization in one or more of the following:
documentary, animation and narrative filmmaking
• Holds a relevant Bachelor of Fine Arts or Master of Fine Arts degree (film/video or related field) or currently enrolled in a film/video undergraduate or graduate program; or holds at least three years of film industry experience
• Teaching experience is preferred, but a desire to teach is a must
• Experienced operator of consumer, prosumer and professional sound, video and lighting equipment
• Proficient with industry standard video editing software FCPX. iStopMotion, After Effects, Premiere, Photoshop, and Illustrator preferred
• Experience shooting, keying, and editing green screen footage
• Strong storytelling abilities
Compensation: $12-$25/hour to commensurate with experience.
Hours: We prefer Teaching Artists to commit to working throughout the summer, June – August 2024. Workshops take place during the day, usually from 8:30 am – 3:30 pm, M-F
All Teaching Artists must complete and pass a background check.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should send a resume, cover letter and portfolio links (artist website, reel, Vimeo, etc.) to email@example.com