Pay Range:commensurate with experience
Department:School of Performing Arts | Music | Theatre | Cinema
The Virginia Tech School of Performing Arts (Music | Theatre | Cinema) invites applicants for a Cinema Production faculty position at the rank of Instructor. This appointment begins August 10, 2017, and is for one academic year, with the possibility of renewal.
- Teach fiction and documentary cinema production courses, from introductory to advanced levels; and mentor and advise students on independent film projects (for a load of 4/4)
- Supervise TAs responsible for equipment management, classroom and project assistance
- Advise and supervise undergraduate assistants in organizing our annual student film festival, giving tours, and recording performances
- Make recommendations for annual cinema equipment purchases
- MFA in Film Production or equivalent relevant MA or MFA degree; PhD with sufficient production courses and experience, including ABDs, will also be considered.
- Extensive experience with film production tools including digital cameras, microphones, sound recorders, and editing software
- Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching, as evidenced by student evaluations and/or references
- Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative environment with artists and professionals across multiple creative disciplines
- Clear interest in helping develop Virginia Tech’s growing Cinema program
- Demonstrated ability to teach both larger introductory classes and smaller advanced courses
- Sincere appreciation for film studies (of equivalent value with production in our school)
- Ability to support students working on ambitious projects through independent study
- Demonstrated commitment to applicant’s own creative work
- Experience or interest in independent filmmaking
- Commitment to making classes fun while actively challenging students to create work of significant thematic content
- Ability to thrive in a rural setting
Must have a criminal background check
Must have a conviction check?
How to Apply for this Job:
Qualified applicants should electronically submit a letter of application, a resume or curriculum vitae, and contact information for four references to www.jobs.vt.edu. Apply to posting number TR0170048. Review of candidates will begin on 5/15/2017 and will continue until the position is filled.
The Department of Theatre and Cinema, fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Theatre, is committed to building a culturally diverse faculty and strongly encourages applications from diverse backgrounds. More information can be found at http://www.performingarts.vt.edu.
If restricted or temporary, enter end date:
May 9, 2018
FLSA Status: Exempt: Not eligible for overtime
Academic Year or Calendar Year?
Standard Academic Year
Location Zip Code:
Job Posting Date:
Review Begin Date:
- Cover Letter
- Resume/Curriculum Vita
- List of References
For information and to apply, please click here