Tribeca Film Institute® and New Orleans Film Society to Host Pitch Competition During the 2017 New Orleans Film Festival
Calling all filmmakers living or working in the American South: a new short-film pitch competition IF/Then Short Documentary Program is now open for submissions!
In partnership with New Orleans Film Society, they are currently seeking short documentary projects directed by filmmakers living or working in the American South for the IF/Then Short Documentary Program. IF/Then is a new program developed by Tribeca Film Institute with support from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. Its goal is to discover and empower more inclusive voices in short film storytelling and give wider access to thoughtful stories from people of all backgrounds.
Up to six projects will be selected for a pitch competition, to be held in New Orleans during New Orleans Film Festival on Friday, October 13, 2017. The winner, selected by a professional jury, will be eligible for up to $20,000 in production support from IF/Then, as well as ongoing mentorship year-round – in person or virtually – and will participate in a year-long distribution initiative managed by Tribeca Film Institute that offers creative control, revenue potential and career development.
You are a filmmaker living or working in the American South, and are telling stories of the American South. These states and one federal district include: Alabama, Arkansas, District of Columbia, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia.
Eligible projects must meet the following criteria:
- Be an original short documentary with a final duration (TRT) under 40 minutes
- Be completed within 3-6 months of receiving the IF/Then grant
- Be factually accurate, follow best practices in documentary ethics and be designed for a U.S. audience
- Be driven by (a) compelling character(s), with access to the character(s) secured
- Be presented in English or subtitled in English
- Have no prior distribution attached and be able to participate in the IF/Then distribution initiative
For more information, click here