Make your mark in Broadcasting and Digital Media. Sinclair Broadcast Group and Sinclair Digital Solutions are dedicated to making Sinclair a communications powerhouse! They are the largest and most diversified television broadcasting company in the country. Sinclair owns and operates, programs or provides services to more television stations than anyone and has affiliations with all major networks. Sinclair Digital group is focused on bringing the most engaging content to web, mobile and over-the-top broadcasting to audiences all over the country! Their success is the result of extraordinary employees and an exemplary management team who believe in a vision and are dedicated ensuring a great future for their employees. Whether you are an industry veteran or a just starting out, you can find it at Sinclair! They are advancing the world of Broadcasting and they want YOU to join their winning team!
WJLA-TV in Washington, DC, has an exciting opportunity for an experienced investigative reporter to join their Seven On Your Side team. Seven On Your Side is the largest local investigative broadcast unit in our nation’s capital. They’re all about advocacy journalism and investigations that affect change and make a difference for our viewers. They are looking for an investigator who can seamlessly combine an expertise in computer assisted reporting skills and data-mining, with the ability to develop a wide network of human sources, plus a flair for compelling storytelling both on-air and online. You will have the opportunity to work on both long range investigations as well as quick daily turn investigations that deepen our coverage of the big story of the day. The ability to build out stories through creative and innovative use of social media is a must. You will be part of a large Seven On Your Side investigative unit, and a willingness to collaborate and be a team player is essential.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop and maintain contacts and sources in the community to enterprise story ideas
- Identify and pitch investigative angles to big daily news stories
- Maintain an active social media presence to build your brand and solicit original story ideas
- Familiarity with IRE best practices
- Knowledge of the legal land mines pertaining to investigations and how to avoid them
- Strong knowledge of computer-assisted reporting, database, and spreadsheet programs
- A love of and passion for what you do as an investigator
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working as an investigative reporter
- Proven experience working with hidden cameras
While applying online, please include a recent web link of your work. If you do not have one, please submit a non-returnable DVD to: WJLA-TV, ATTN: News Director, 1100 Wilson Boulevard, 6th Floor, Arlington, VA 22209.
Sinclair Broadcast Group is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.