To manage and provide editorial direction to the daily public affairs events producing staff to ensure a timely, accurate, informative and watchable product. To set and maintain the standards for information gathered and published about this content and to develop systems to ensure its accuracy. To incorporate enhancements to this content, which will further the audience’s understanding of the event and increase the value of what’s offered. To provide regular advice on how our public affairs event coverage could be used on each of the network’s platforms: TV, Radio, Online and Social Media.
- Manages and organizes staff for peak performance while regularly reviewing their work.
- Provides ongoing editorial guidance on how to enhance the quality of our daily events coverage.
- Assists the producers in identifying additional graphics, script information and web content to offer.
- Sets event information management standards and works with the platforms to assure adherence to the standards within the style guidelines determined for the individual platforms.
- Ensures the quality and consistency of the information gathered and published on these events.
- Identifies and successfully implements the tools needed to effectively manage our editorial content.
- Ensures that information is shared among platforms in a timely manner.
- Recommends additional ways to use our daily event content or programming that could further topics covered during these events.
- Provides relevant feedback to our field crews to help them effectively cover events.
- Regularly assesses the competitive landscape to ensure that our editorial product continues to progress.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong knowledge of news and public affairs.
- Understanding of C-SPAN’s programming mission and philosophy.
- At least six years of related experience including one year of management experience.
- Demonstrated leadership and management experience.
- Proven organizational, writing and editing skills.
- Strong interest in and ability to adapt to new technology.
- Ability to work under pressure and to work flexible hours.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- College degree in Journalism, Communications, Political Science or related field preferred.