WAMU (American University Radio) is seeking a Visuals Editor.
The Visuals Editor is the authority, coach, editor and primary practitioner of photo and video journalism for the WAMU newsroom. The Visuals Editor will work in both still photography and video, creating stories independently and collaborating to add visual elements to the reporting of others. The journalism produced will be a combination of daily or short-term work and longer-term projects. Assisting other news staff in identifying opportunities for photo/video in their work is also a crucial part of this role, as is coaching others to better their skills in visual journalism. Additionally, the Visuals Editor will serve as the point person to strategize and develop WAMU’s visual identity, establishing processes, systems and standards for how WAMU’s journalism appears across all platforms.
Degree in journalism or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 5-7 years’ experience producing photo or video journalism
- Impeccable editorial judgment, and an ability to make good decisions quickly in a fast-paced environment
- Comfort serving as a leader, editor and expert by providing constructive feedback in a multifaceted newsroom
- Experience working with reporters and editors to optimize their visual work, coaching them to better their skills in photo and video journalism
- Knowledge and experience in optimizing visual content for compatibility and shareability on social media
- Experience working within content management systems
- Knowledge of and commitment to the mission of public media journalism
- A keen appreciation of audio as a medium and an understanding of how audio and visuals can work together in storytelling
- A firm grasp on the issues surrounding rights and ethics of visual journalism, and journalism in general, in a modern media environment
- Enthusiasm for operating in a changing newsroom focused on innovation
- An empathetic, open-minded, service-based approach to journalism and the people we cover
- A generous, positive approach to working as part of a team
The successful candidate will be highly creative, collaborative, driven, and nimble. He/she will have a positive outlook and a great sense of humor.
If interested, please apply with WAMU here