The Producer, Politics serves as an integral member of the PBS NewsHour politics and election unit, overseeing the production of video segments for use on-air and a variety of online content.
- Conceiving, developing and executing field segments as well as studio discussion segments.
- Managing and planning field and political event coverage and field produced stories for packages as well as special projects
- Identifying, pre-interviewing, and booking guests.
- Gathering and writing background briefing materials for anchors and others.
- Budget planning for field segments.
- Conceive and execute a variety of online coverage projects, which might include social media, podcasts, slideshows, extended interviews, and interactive forums and more.
- General news and feature assignments maybe assigned as well.
- Perform related special projects or other duties as assigned.
- Experience covering politics and government at a national level. Experience covering presidential campaigns is a plus.
- Experience shooting and editing (Adobe Premiere, Final Cut or Avid) are a plus
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced newsroom setting and to adjust smoothly to changing assignments under deadline pressure.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with careful attention to detail.
- Excellent organizational, project planning and follow-through, presentation and time management skills. Flexible and able to handle multiple tasks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Availability to work a non-standard or extended work schedule at times with little or no notice.
- College degree in journalism, political science, or related field.
- Minimum of four (4) years of producing original news content, preferably for a national news outlet. Preference for experience covering campaigns.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience.
For a full job description or to apply through the online application, please click here to be directed to the careers page at WETA. To confirm that a WETA or PBS NewsHour job posting is under recruitment, please visit these websites for current job postings list: www.weta.org and www.pbs.org/newshour/.