Science & Social Media News Assistant Program
ROLLING APPLICATION PROCESS — NO STRICT DEADLINE
Program duration: 1 year
Location: Arlington, Virginia
The Science & Social Media News Assistant program is designed to give recent college graduates practical science reporting experience in a digital newsroom setting. For this position, we’re looking for creative thinkers with visionary ideas on how to tell science stories using traditional and social media platforms. During their tenure, News Assistants will write at least one science story per week for the NewsHour website, while producing science-based multimedia content for the NewsHour’s social media pages. Duties include pitching ideas, assisting in story research and development and reporting original content. Multimedia products may include social videos, gifs, Snap and Instagram stories and more.
News Assistants will also have the opportunity to attend a series of breakfasts with various members of our organization — including correspondents, producers, and reporters — and have the opportunity to research, interview, and write for the NewsHour‘s Rundown blog. They are also responsible for occasional support staff duties.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Proven ability to be innovative and think creatively
- Demonstrated interest in telling stories using design and graphics
- Familiarity with a range of social media platforms
- Interest in online and/or science journalism
- Graphic design, motion graphics, animation or video editing experience a plus
- Training in physical, biological or computer sciences a plus
- Strong work ethic and effective time management
- Excellent writing and research skills
The Science and Social Media News Assistant position pays $13 an hour with overtime eligibility. Additionally, this position is eligible for our 403(b) retirement plan and medical benefits.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and clips and/or creative content work samples to be considered. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Cover Letters can be addressed to:
Producer, Science Unit/NewsHour Shares
To apply and for more information, click here